The 2013 Awards categories are:
1. Audio Product of the Year, up to Rs. 5 Lakh
2. Portable Audio Product of the Year
3. Television display of the Year
4. Computing Product of the Year
5. Computer Peripherals of the Year
6. Portable Computing Product of the Year
7. Smartphone of the Year
8. Budget phone of the Year
9. Consumer Electronics of the Year
10. Camera of the Year
11. Celebrity Endorsement of the Year
12. Technology/Innovation of the Year
13. Gadget Eye Candy of the Year *
14. App of the Year *
15. Gadget of the Year – Jury Choice *
16. Gadget of the Year – Viewer’s Choice *
* Indicates categories which are not open for nominations to manufacturers.
The definitions for the respective award categories are:
1. Audio Product of the Year, (Up to Rs. 5 Lakh)- This category includes sound systems, sound bars, speaker-amplifier combinations, vacuum tube amplifiers and speaker packages priced up to Rs 5 Lakhs (MRP).
2. Portable Audio Product of the Year- This includes all portable MP3 players, headphones, portable sound docks and battery powered speaker systems as well as any other form of portable audio device. Price is no bar in this category.
3. Television display of the Year – The Television display category covers all types of flat panel televisions like LCDs, LEDs, plasma TVs, projection TVs (not projectors) and laser TVs. Price no bar.
4. Computing Product of the Year – This category includes all personal computing devices, including tablets, netbooks, net-tops, laptop computers, desktops and all-in-one computing devices. Price no bar.
5. Computer Peripherals of the Year – Computer peripherals include printers (both inkjet and laser), all-in-one (print-scan-copy-fax) devices, scanners (sheet-fed and flatbed), external storage devices, webcams, keyboards and mice. Basically anything that can be worked with after being plugged into a computer. Price no bar.
6. Portable Computing Product of the Year- This category will include all the tablets, hybrids, and ultrabooks. Price is no bar in this category.
7. Smartphone of the Year – Quite simply, this award goes to the overall Smartphone, but with price tag upwards of Rs 10,000(MRP). A Smartphone would be defined as one offering various advanced capabilities in terms of day-to-day use, connectivity as well as third party software installations and running a Smartphone operating system such as Symbian, Windows Mobile, Android etc.
8. Budget phone of the Year – This award is for the budget mobile phone (Smartphone or feature phone) under the price range of Rs 10,000
9. Consumer Electronics of the Year – This category includes projectors and projection systems, DVD players, Blu-Ray players, HDD media players, HD video upscalers or any other gadget or consumer electronic product which is not covered or does not fit in any of the other categories. (No White goods such as refrigerators, Air conditioners etc. should be nominated). Price no bar.
10. Camera of the Year – Imaging devices includes all types of digital still cameras and video cameras. These include those that record to tape, flash memory or hard disks. Price no bar.
11. Celebrity Endorsement of the Year – This category basically looks at various celebrity endorsements for gadgets. TV commercials, print ads, etc. are considered for this award.
12. Technology/Innovation of the Year – Various interesting and innovative technologies have been introduced through the years that have made a significant impact on one or the other aspect of gadgets and related industry. This category looks at not just technologies but also any other form of innovation that has brought about a substantial change.
13. Gadget Eye Candy of the Year – This is the gadget that you feel offers the most visual appeal & design flair across categories. There is no price or specification limit, it’s all about the looks here. The nominees will be selected from shortlists from other categories.
14. App of the Year – This category is not open for nominations to the manufacturers. This one covers applications across all mobile platforms (Symbian, iPhone, Windows, Android, Palm, OS etc.). The category will include all categories of apps like games, productivity, GPS maps and even fun apps. Price no bar.
15. Gadget of the Year (Jury Choice) – This category is not open to nominations to the manufacturers. The category will be populated from amongst the Jury nominations and other entries jointly by the LD and NDTV edit teams. The Jury will decide the final winner during the Jury meet by voting.
16. Gadget of the Year (Viewer’s Choice) – This category is not open to nominations to the manufacturers. The category will be populated from amongst the other entries jointly by the LD and NDTV edit teams. The final winner will be decided using a public voting on the NDTV Awards website. The public voting will commence in February, 2013
• The Award categories may be dropped, increased or modified based on the level of response received, at the discretion of Awards management.